N.E.W.B.I.E.S. Pilot Installation
Current status: experiments running on Landfill leachate
Last updated: 21 april 2021
On this page, you’ll find more information on the pilot installation that has been developed as part of the N.E.W.B.I.E.S. project.
Along with the most notable (physical) characteristics of the installation, up-to-date Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the installation as they result from operation on different waste waters will be presented.
- Removal and recovery of 1 kg N / day from selected waste waters
- At a electrical energy expense of less than 2.75kWh per kg N recovered
- automated cleaning-in-place procedures to minimize waste pre-treatment requirements
- future upgradeability – omit use of external stripping acid
Specifics per test site
Phase 1: Reject water from digestate sludge centrifuge
Location: Municipal Waste Water Treatment Facility “Trargisa”, Girona, Spain
Period of pilot operation: October 2019 – July 2020
- Ammonium Sulfate Concentration in the product: up to 150 g / L
- Coulombic Efficiency towards recovered NH4: 20-30%
- %Removal efficiency: 60 % max
- Energy demand per g N recovered: 10-20 kWh / kg N
Site/waste-specific remarks: Excessive CIP required due to too high Ca : N ratio
Phase 2: Human urine (source separated, hydrolyzed)
Location: Eco-community Arneco, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Period of pilot operation: July 2020 – February 2021
- Ammonium Sulfate Concentration in the product: up to 250 g / L
- Coulombic Efficiency towards recovered NH4: 30-40%
- Removal efficiency: up to 80%
- Energy demand per g N recovered: 6-12 kWh / kg N
Site/waste-specific remarks: N concentration in hydrolyzed urine was somewhat lower than expected due to flushing water dilution (1 g N / L instead of 3-4 g / L anticipated)
Phase 3: Landfill leachate
Location: Evides operated Landfill site, Nieuwdorp, The Netherlands
Period of pilot operation: March – September 2021
- Ammonium Sulfate Concentration in the product: t.b.d.
- Coulombic Efficiency towards recovered NH4: t.b.d.
- Removal efficiency: t.b.d.
- Energy demand per g N recovered: t.b.d.
Site/waste-specific remarks: t.b.d.
Technical SpecificationsN.E.W.B.I.E.S. Pilot installation
- Skid manufacturer: LPS B.V.
- Process Automations: Pro-Control B.V.
- Dimensions: 5.00m x 2.00m x 1.00m (LxHxW)
- Fully automated CIP for unattended continuous operation
- Volumetric treatment capacity: approx 1m³ per day
- N-Removal efficiency: 60-90%
- Energy efficiency: kWh per kg N
- Max. product concentration: 15-20 wt% product
- Total ED-membrane area: 3.2 m²
- Stripper-acid-free operation